It’s that time of year when we like to reflect on the past year and look ahead to the new year with hope and excitement. Whether you believe in making New Year’s resolutions or not, we thought it would be a great idea to sit down with your favorite gymnast and help them come up with some things that they can work towards in the new year.
Here are 12 New Year’s Resolutions for Gymnasts in 2017:
- Have a positive attitude – Whether you are having a good or tough day in the gym, it’s important to maintain a positive attitude. This year, make it a point to stay positive even when you may be feeling down.
- Be a good teammate – It’s easy to stay focused on yourself all the time, but make sure to consider what a friend and teammate may be going through and be there for them. It could be setting a board, playing their floor music, or encouraging them during conditioning. Regardless of what it is, teamwork makes the dreamwork, so be the kind of teammate you would like to have.
- Listen and respect your coaches – This is vital for a successful coach/gymnast relationship. Make sure you have good eye contact and respond politely when your coaches are talking to you. Having a mutual respect for each other will go a long way!
- Set goals and follow through – Make this the year that you set goals both in and out of the gym and adhere to them. Write them down and put them on your bathroom mirror so you see them every morning. Keep these in your mind when you are at practice and throughout the day and you are more likely to follow through with them.
- Step it up at practice – If you think you’ve already been working hard, go ahead and try and step up your game at practice. There is always room for improvement so figure out some things you can do to make practice that much more beneficial to you.
- Focus on schoolwork – Balancing academics with gymnastics should always be a priority. It’s so important to maintain your focus on schoolwork even when you get busy with your sport.
- Take care of yourself – Keep your body healthy by making good food choices and make sure you are getting enough sleep. It’s important that your body has the right fuel and enough rest for optimal performance.
- Improve your mental game – Work on your mental toughness as you head into competition season. Visualize your routines in your mind and even come up with cue words that you can use as you actually go through them.
- Be more confident – Having confidence in yourself and your routines is the first step to being successful at your competitions. Use positive self-talk and affirmations to help pump you up to be ready for practice and meets.
- Go the extra mile – We all know how important conditioning is to developing and strengthening your muscles so that you can do all the skills. Commit to adding one extra rep beyond what you are being asked to do for each exercise.
- Show gratitude to your parents and siblings – After all, your participation in gymnastics wouldn’t be possible without your family, so make sure and show your appreciation and even say thank you every now and then!
- Have fun – This is the most important one … make sure and enjoy each day and the opportunity that you have been given to be a gymnast! This time spent with your teammates, friends and coaches is simply priceless!
Here’s to a happy and healthy year ahead! Go out and have a fantastic 2017!